Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What About Moses's Family?

I noticed something strange on this read through of Numbers.  Every time there is a census, Moses and his descendants aren't listed.  Moses has children, so why don't they get counted?  I shot an email to my OT professor from ACU.  Hopefully he'll have some insight to offer.  If so, I'll be sure to post it.

Update: My professor got back to me.  Here was his response.

"It's not clear why Numbers omits the Moses family.  It may have died out early on.  Some think that the Aaronide priests had a conflict with the Mushite priests (descended from Moses), and since the texts came from the former, the latter got excluded.  However, this is EXTREMELY speculative, so just something to know is out there without giving much credence to it.   It's probably better just to say that we don't know.  One reason may have been the desire to downplay the importance of the family: power was not to be inherited just because the founder of the family was such an extraordinary person."

Stopping point: Numbers 27

No comments:

Post a Comment