Friday, June 10, 2011

I'll Miss My Grandpa

So, up unto today I've been doing pretty good with the fact that my grandpa is dying, but tonight I'm having a rough time.  As a minister, I've been around death and dying.  I've been with families as they've mourned.  I've done the same as a friend and as a husband, but it's different when it's your own family.  Kalyn has posted a number of pictures of Shep on her blog.  You can see them here.  The family showed those pictures of Shep to grandpa.  His sight has gotten bad the last few days, so he couldn't make out the first few, but when he saw this picture of Shep and Kalyn, he said, "That's his mom right?"  And it made him happy.


But what broke my heart is that when he saw this picture


he reached up, touched Shepherd's face and said, "Pretty boy.  Pretty boy."  He is a pretty boy, and grandpa's heritage will live on through him.  I absolutely hate that Shep won't be able to know his great-grandfather.  My grandpa was a quiet man, but he loved his family and he was a hard worker.  He's set a tone that has lasted three generations now.  Shepherd could do much worse than have a role model like my grandpa.

My parents told me that being able to see Shepherd last week meant a great deal to grandpa.  So, there is one more reason to be grateful we were able to get up to see him last week.  Along those lines, here's a few images I don't want to forget.

This is a picture of Shepherd with grandpa at Christmas.


And this is the four Gensic men as of last week.


My parents told me that if there is anything I wanted to say, I could put it on my blog and they'd read it to him.  So here's what I want them to read:

Grandpa, your dad came across the ocean to look for a different life.  I inherited that yearning for new experiences and adventure.  It's taken me all across this country, and I have seen many amazing things.  Through my travels, God has given me a wonderful wife and a beautiful son, and I have been blessed.  My childhood in Indiana seems like a world away most days, but I have never regretted the places my life has taken me...until now.  I am so very sorry that my sense of adventure has taken me so far away from you.  I miss you.  I love you, and I hate that for the rest of this life, at least, when I come back to Indiana there will be an empty chair in the living room.  May God bless you and keep you.  May his face shine upon you and be gracious to you.  May he smile upon you and give you peace.

1 comment:

  1. This was very moving. I'm glad you and Shep were able to see your grandpa last week and that you have the chance to say goodbye. But I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I'm praying for comfort and peace for your whole family.

    ReplyDelete