Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fuzzy Brain Blog Post

Shepherd has been running a fever since Sunday, so Kalyn and I aren't going on much sleep this week.  I'm really noticing it today.  Attempting to think is like trying to wade through sticky fog.  There's a lot of good stuff in my reading for today, but I can't think of much to say about any of it, but for the sake of discipline, here's something.

I love the story of the woman who anoints Jesus's feet at the Pharisee's banquet.  She's disruptive, theatrical, and surely discomforting for the guests who were actually supposed to be there.  I've got to wonder if we modern religious types have changed much from Simon the Pharisee who asked, "Doesn't Jesus know who that is?!"  Now I know there are numerous exceptions to what I'm about to say, but don't our typical worship services tend to be rather structured, planned, and comfortable?  Even if you are in a church where people can come forward to ask for help or respond to an invitation, there's a right and wrong time for it.  Why don't our churches have more interruptions like this woman weeping at Jesus's feet?  Could it be because we're more like the Pharisee than we'd like to admit?  Could it be because we're inviting people to our "banquet" and not to Jesus?  I wonder.

Stopping point: Luke 7

No comments:

Post a Comment