Monday, October 31, 2011

I Don't Get It

I grew up in a fundamentalist church.  I think that's why my sister still doesn't attend a congregation at all.  If there is one thing you learn in a fundamentalist church, it's that you should have an answer for everything.  Now, I'll admit that learning the books of the Bible and how to look up scripture passages and learning Bible authors has served me well over the years.  However, since leaving home for college in 1997, I've had to learn to embrace questions and live with "I don't know's."

For example, I'm sure once upon a time someone gave me a great interpretation of Jesus's parable in Luke 16, but frankly, when I read the Parable of the Dishonest Manager today, I was left scratching my head.  I don't have a clue what Jesus was trying to say, and I wish this were the first time I've walked away from this parable feeling that way.  I haven't gotten it.  I don't get it, and I probably won't get it any time soon.

And guess what...I don't think God cares.  If a good relationship with God was defined by understanding everything Jesus taught, we'd all be lost.  At least we'd be in good company, the Apostles didn't get it either.  I don't think Jesus cares either.  Jesus didn't die for me, and come back for me, so that I could understand his Parable of the Dishonest Manager.  And you know what...I don't even think the Holy Spirit lives in me so that I can understand the parable.

Now, some day I may read this parable and go, "Ah-hah!  I totally get this now," but if I haven't learned how to live and love as Jesus lived for and loved me, than I haven't learned a single thing of significance.

So, after almost an entire year of jotting down what I think about this passage or that passage.  My blog for today is simple:

The Parable of the Dishonest Manager...I don't get it.  I'm totally clueless.

Stopping point: Luke 18

No comments:

Post a Comment