Monday, November 7, 2011

Where I Am, You Cannot Come

I noticed something in my reading today that I never noticed before.  In John chapter seven, Jesus has caught the attention of the Pharisees, chief priests, and temple police.  When the police come to arrest him, he tells them that he will only be with them for a little while longer and then he is going back to the one who sent him.  He says,


"You will search for me, but you will not find me; and where I am, you cannot come." (v. 34)


That last part caught my attention.  Jesus says something very similar that again in chapter eight, this time, "Where I am going, you cannot come."  What catches my attention about that phrase is that toward the end of John, during Jesus's last meal with his disciples before his crucifixion, Jesus tells his followers,


"And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also." (John 14:3)


I've never noticed the parallelism between what Jesus tells his followers at the end of the book and what he tells the religious leaders in Jerusalem at the beginning of the book.  I'm curious to see if this plays itself out as I go through the chapters in between.

Stopping point: John 8

No comments:

Post a Comment